Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Past Month

Over these past four weeks, I haven't necessarily done as much work on my project as I had planned.  I wanted to complete an outline of the fundraiser and present it to my coach, but I just never found time to do either.  However, I did spend some time thinking about which charity/organization I would like to possibly collect donations for.
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is one of my options.  I spent some time looking around their website (www.afsp.org), and the thing that grabbed my attention most was their "Out of the Darkness Walks".  I believe I recall someone organizing one of these for their project last year, and it is basically the same concept as my idea, as money is collected in form of donations.  The only difference is mine is swimming and this is walking.  Considering the similarity of the two, I think it would be very possible to get the attention of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention for my project.  Regardless, I would love to collect donations for this foundation that deals with such an important topic.
Another foundation that I have really been leaning towards is Special Olympics.  If you aren't aware, Special Olympics is an organization that provides year-round sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.  Special Olympics is very important to me, as I know many people with intellectual disabilities.  Over the past few years, I have volunteered to help and coach Special Olympic swimmers. Working with these great people has really made me happy and definitely changed my perspective on life.  I love what Special Olympics does and I don't think there is a better way to show that love than collecting donations.
There is still plenty of time to do more research and decide on a foundation.  I will most likely end up having to choose between three or four.

No comments:

Post a Comment